There are many ways to implement PROFINET in devices: FPGAs, ASICs, stacks, and modules. The one to choose depends on the device to which it is being added.
- Already have an Ethernet controller >> add a software stack.
- Want an Ethernet controller with PROFINET built in >> there are a couple.
- Need a lightweight chip for your IO device >> TPS-1 does that.
- Heavyweight ASIC >> ERTEC does that.
- There are also FPGAs that have PROFINET.
There are many resources for manufacturers contemplating adding PROFINET:
- The definitive source is the brochure: The Easy Way to PROFINET – North American Edition.
- There is the recent issue of the international version of PROFINEWS, Issue 114A.
- This webinar explains the development process: Rapid Way to PROFINET.
- But the most important resources is the people – at PI North America and at the certified competence centers. See the list at About Us.